Friday, October 28, 2016

'A Black Death' (working title)

I figured I'd go this route once again...and while I'm am at it, I'll go ahead and finally plug my recently released compilation of spoken word pieces, Soul Therapy: a collection of works inspired by the life of Max Lit. This piece was written a little while after the release date so, of course, it is not in the book. But Soul Therapy has a section completely dedicated to issues such as the one addressed here and the ones I often address in this blogspace. If you frequent my blog and you can feel or relate to some of the content here, I think you will enjoy the book in it's entirety. If you haven't already purchased your own personal copy, you can get it here. You can also view my author page on Amazon here.

(note: this is part of a collaborative piece I am working on with my good friend; poet, activist and entrepreneur Marlanda 'Sapient Soul' Dekine. I am excited to not only work with her but to be a part of her hard work with Speaking Down Barriers and her other efforts to bring awareness to the masses.)

A Black Death  (working title)

my
spirit escapes
the cold corpse
that's been lying on this
hot asphalt for hours
waiting for it's dignity
not even a white sheet
to shield it from observing eyes
not as much as a drop of decency
this is a Black death
my spirit escapes this cold corpse
that has been sitting in this car
as my child sits in the backseat
and my girl live facebook's the whole thing
policeman's gun still trained on me
this is a Black death
my spirit grieves along with
thousands as they protest
the death
of the cold corpse that I escaped from
in a jail cell
as a mug shot was
taken to somehow prove that
I wasn't killed while in custody
to somehow prove I killed myself
this is a Black death
that somehow needs justification
of a movement
to give meaning to the lives we've lost
will lose
and that will never matter as much
to others
as it does to those being hunted
those being exterminated
there are a million spirits with me
no longer searching for answers
because their ascension
was answer enough
now
they are just trying to protect those
left behind
but we are fighting a losing battle
missed child support payments
strike fear in the hearts of men like Walter Scott
but murders don't strike fear in the hearts
of cops who
set up scenes while no one is looking
drop body cameras
'cus no one is looking
yell out 'GUN!'
'cus some are looking
at the man selling CD's
loose cigarettes
loose niggers get
popped
and cops get shot
and now
the national debate is unbalanced
between Black lives and blue lives
while black and blue marks
bruise eyes
of the children watching the lies unfold
"All Lives Matter" we are told
and we Black lives know that
and get pissed 'cus
we also know it to not exactly be true
"all lives"
aren't Black lives
because if they were
then Max lit wouldn't have this cause
to speak of
but I do
sapient souls do
wise women's souls do
and we do
but it falls upon either
deaf white ears
or deaf privileged white ears
either or
both are one in the same
'cus there's not too many
who can remember the names
Tamir Rice
Freddie Gray
Sandra Bland
Korryn Gaines
Eric Garner
Trayvon Martin
Jordan Davis
John Crawford
Mallissa Williams and Timothy Russell
over 100 shots fired at the last two
and justice still escaped us
like my spirit escaped
each and every last one of those souls
these are Black deaths

No comments:

Post a Comment